Samstag, 1. September 2012

Day 2: Buying an umbrella and other essentials







The first task for Friday morning was to find breakfast. 

After finding a likely place online, we went on a nice walk through our nearby area, past some pretty houses and a school with (apparently) some unhappy students...


Schools are prisons!
















So many of the buildings here are old and pretty, some have flowers on all the balconies and most of them have shutters on the windows so they look like cottages! I've decided that window shutters are a fantastic idea, you can block out the sun before it even hits the window, why do we not do this in Australia??

We had an amazing breakfast of pancakes (Pfannkuchen) and I ordered an ice tea (Eistee) and didn't understand what was said when asked what flavour I wanted, so I ended up picking one which I didn't know what it was, called "Ingwer" which turned out to be ginger. :) According to Pat, we have yet to find 'good' coffee apart from at work, the search will continue tomorrow.

Since it was raining, we hid inside for most of the day and ventured out in the afternoon to explore the town and pick up a few essential goods. Namely, I needed a swiss power cord for my laptop (I didn't like our chances of finding another australian-swiss adapter) and Pat needed a new umbrella because his was hopelessly broken. Federbär wanted to see the lake, so we did:

Federbär in front of lake Zürich

Swans and very cold looking ducks!

Pat eventually found an umbrella, this was more difficult than we thought because the newsagents here don't capitalize on the bad weather by setting umbrellas, we found one in a clothing store. I went to the mac store only to discover that they don't sell just the power adapter cord, and I asked one of the guys there because I didn't want to be yet another whole power adapter. He was exceedingly friendly and when I explained that we'd just moved here from Australia, he said he'd check out the back so we waited for him, and he brought out just a power cord for free! :)



Next was the Sprüngli cafe where the hot chocolate is delicious and the desserts fantastic! (I didn't get any luxembergli this time, but there'll be another time...raspberry, rhubarb and icecream/cream pictured above.)
We had dinner on the way home at a place Pat had wanted to visit (after failing badly at ordering on his last visit due to language barriers), and I managed to stay awake until 8pm this time! Hopefully I'll be mostly over jet lag by Monday.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen